Thursday, August 04, 2011

Recipe Time!


Oh, how I love fresh peaches! Just received some from a friend who went to Georgia over the weekend. Well, actually I asked/begged her to bring me some! I told her I'd bake a peach cobbler for her - so that's what I did last night.

Peach Cobbler on my mother's crocheted placemat

Of course there are many different recipes, using biscuit dough, piecrust, or even oatmeal crisp, but this is a new recipe I tried - from grandparents.com - and it's really good!

Nana's Peach Cobbler

From Faye Porter's "At My Grandmother's Knee: Recipes & Memories
Handed Down by Women of the South", Thomas Nelson, 2011 
http://www.grandparents.com/gp/content/food/recipes/article/recipe-nanas-peach-cobbler-grandmothers-knee.html



Ingredients:
Filling: 3 cups peeled & sliced peaches, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, & 1/4 teaspoon almond extract   -- I mixed the peaches, lemon juice, & almond extract, then mixed the cornstarch into the sugar & mixed that with the peach mix

Topping: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 large egg, beaten, & 1 stick butter - combine the flour, sugar, & salt; add the beaten egg; then work in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, mix the filling & pour into a 9-inch square baking pan; Spoon the topping on top of the peaches; bake for 45 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.  Serve warm or cool. Serves 5 or 6.


The first time I just made one cobbler for a potluck, but last night I used more peaches & a little more flour & sugar to make 3 smaller cobblers to give away  + one tiny one for me to sample! They're a little drippy, but that just shows how juicy the peaches were!


Better go deliver those cobblers before I sit here & eat them all!

Oh, before I go, here's the recipe for Tomato Pie shown in this previous post.

Mary's Tomato Luncheon Pie

Pie crust - purchased or bake your own
5 tomatoes sliced thin(can also use other vegetables)
1 cup mayonnaise - I use Kraft Low-Fat
1 cup shredded cheese - I usually use Sharp Cheddar, but any would work
1 grated onion

Grate onion & combine with mayo & cheese. Place tomatoes in the crust & spoon the mixture on top. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Now this is good, but here's another friend's variation: she thinly sliced the onions rather than grating; she added fresh basil to the tomato slices; she used half mozzarella cheese & half cheddar or Jack cheese.  

Last time I made this, I added fresh dried basil - and it was a wonderful addition! Sometime I'll try using broccoli instead of tomatoes. Such an easy recipe - and everyone loves it!


Have a peachy day!

1 comment:

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your peach cobbler looks so yummy!! And the tomato pie sounds delicious too!!