Saturday, May 12, 2012

Food Drive


Letter Carriers Food Drive
Today





A few days ago we found this bag (empty then) in our mailbox!




We've been trying to eat mostly fresh foods, so I didn't have much non-perishable on hand. Of course, we don't eat Lucky Charms or Trix - we eat oatmeal or "healthy" cereal! But I remember how much our children loved those kinds of cereal, so I thought some other families might like to get a box.



Since I managed to tear the bag a bit while trying to fit everything in, I first put the items into another bag & then into the special bag. Now it's in our mailbox waiting for pickup.  I thought it was too heavy to hang on the mailbox.  Luckily we have a pretty big mailbox, so the bag fit inside just fine.  I did have some leftover items - will take them to another food collection tomorrow. 

Years ago the Boy Scouts here used to have a similar food drive. They'd leave a regular brown paper grocery sack on porches or doorsteps one Saturday and then go around to pick up the filled sacks the next Saturday. There was probably a flyer or printing on the sacks explaining the program.  It was a good project, which the local food banks loved.  People who didn't want to - or couldn't - participate just didn't leave the bag outside, so it was simple to operate. Those going around to pick up  could easily spot the bags.  No doorbell ringing needed! I wonder if this Letter Carriers Food Drive took the program over from the Boy Scouts? I'm sure the Food Banks love this too!

In so many cases now, it seems better to give money to the organization.  That could be the case with food banks too, since they would know their specific needs and might have access to lower prices by buying in volume.  But there's something satisfying about filling a bag yourself and thinking it will help out a family in need, even if it's just a small gesture. 

I wonder if this Letter Carriers Food Drive is a nation-wide event?

No comments: