Saturday, June 30, 2012

Book 27, 52 Books in 52 Weeks

Book 27
Acceptable Loss
A William Monk Novel
by Anne Perry
2011


While each of Perry's William Monk books includes references to the past, this is the first one I've read that, while a good read as a stand-alone, is actually a sequel! At first I thought I'd already read it, so had to check my reading log.  It was Execution Dock that I'd recently read, which precedes this one. Now, with the way this one ended, I'm expecting a third book to follow up on this story. Will have to wait and watch to see if one appears.

"When the body of small-time crook Mickey Parfitt washes up on the tide, no one grieves. But William Monk, commander of the Thames River Police, is puzzled by the expensive silk cravat used to strangle Parfitt. Informers lead Monk to what may be a partial answer - a floating palace of corruption on the Thames managed by Parfitt, where a captive band of half-starved boys are forced to perform vile acts. Further investigation takes Monk and his wife, Hester, to an unresolved crime from the past, to blackmail and more murder, and to a deadly confrontation with some of the empire's most respected men."

No comments: